Wildland Firefighter Foundation
Wildland Firefighter Foundation
    Post Thanks / Like

Default CA-LPF-Gorda Rat Fire 1985 -- W Philip Saaranzin (age 21) accident

Does anyone have a copy of this article?

FS INFO - Title: W. Phillip Saaranzin accident, September 3, 1985, Gorda-Rat Fire, Los Padres National Forest, Region 5 / Jack R. Miller, 14 pages. I found it in this FS index, but the pdf does not seem to be available there.

Alternatively, if anyone remembers the incident on the Los Padres NF, could you please share that. The area burns and it's good to learn whatever lessons there are from the accidents that occur.

Thanks in advance,

Mellie
    Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes
    Thanks patricia51 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: CA-LPF-Gorda Rat Fire 1985 -- W Philip Saaranzin (age 21) accident

Sorry Mellie, I remember there were some deployments on that fire, but I don't remember there being any deaths or injuries related to them. The central part of teh state went up in smoke that summer and I believe this would have been close to when the Lexington fire happened.

Post Thanks / Like

Firefish,

W. Philip Saaranzin (age 21) did die on 9/3/1985, but it's unclear if he died following being entrapped or from some other cause and if he was on a handcrew or engine crew, etc. There seems to be no info on the USFA database (death date is 1/1/1985, the default for "no date"). He has been memorialized on the National firefighters wall but not the CA LODD (Sacramento) wall. As I recall when I searched the LLC last year there was nothing there either. It would be good to have the referenced article at the LLC.

Maybe Yactac or someone from down there will remember something.

I've looked for Philip's info many times. Google spit out that one reference late last night, but no pdf.

His dad died in 1999, I believe the findagrave headstone is his dad's William Phillip "Bill" Saaranzin.

I made this page with the information we know:

http://www.wlfalwaysremember.org/inc...saaranzin.html
    Last edited by Mellie; 11-04-2013 at 17:27.
    Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes
    Likes patricia51 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I believe a member of a crew from Cal Poly was killed while rehabilitating a dozer line on Michael Ridge following the Rat Fire. If I remember correctly, a log or stump rolled over the victim after it was cut.

The Rat Fire was ignited by lightning on July 6, 1985 and was probably contained within a week or two, so the 9/3/85 date sounds about right for the incident I remember.
    Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 0 Likes
    Thanks Mellie, patricia51 thanked for this post