Wildland Firefighter Foundation
Wildland Firefighter Foundation
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: CA-SNF-Aspen ???

Quote Originally Posted by mdub View Post
    4500 acres @ 0%
    That number is more like what I seen last night.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: CA-SNF-Aspen

Quote Originally Posted by C260 View Post
    I am the Assistant Chief of Shaver Lake Volunteer Dept. I will do some digging. I believe the Inversion layer lifted yesterday and the winds picked up. It was 105 in the valley so I'm sure it made a good run. Its not quite as Smokey this am in Auberry so maybe the air will clear up enough for them to hammer down on it. I can tell you this there is a ton of Equipment on the hill. I own the local gas station and you should see the resources. They might have a better chance fighting it from the Mammoth Mountain Side. That's the way its heading. Right up the San Joaquin River Gorge. Just my .02
    We have had three days of heavy smoke over here in Mammoth Lakes. It is bad enough today that my eyes burn and I'm getting a headache. I don't think there is a worse place to put smoke into the Mammoth Lakes area than down the San Joaquin River. Most buildings in town do not have air conditioning, so things are a bit tough here.

The fire is a long way from Mammoth Mountain. about 24 miles line of sight. The fire would have to burn a minimum of 75,000 - 100,000 acres to travel that far, depending on how far the flanks spread apart. It is possible, but not likely. The Rainbow Fire of 1992 is located just above the confluence of Fish Creek and the Middle Fork and would likely slow it down some. However, there is a lot of brush and 15 year old reproduction so maybe it won't go that slow. Silver Divide and the Ritter Range consist of a lot of high elevation granite so the fire would have to move right up the canyon. There is a lot of glacier polish granite on both sides of the river.

From Fish Creek/Middle Fork to Miller Crossing along the river is some of the most inaccessible ground in the Sierra, especially if you leave out a lot of the King's River Canyon.

15 - 20 years ago I would have completely scoffed at the idea a fire near Mammoth Pool could reach the Mammoth area. However, we all know that times are a changing and what we quickly dismissed as recently as 20 years ago might be possible. In 1987 I arrived on the Stanislaus for an assignment we had 23 fires both north and south of Highway 120. Those burned into 4 main fires with a lot of ground between them. We said, "now watch the 4 burn together" and we laughed. We all know what happened then and we weren't laughing anymore.

Still it is improbable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smokeybehr View Post
    Ops ordered 3 STDZ for night shift, but were UTF on 1 because there was no STL, so Expanded was asking Ops if they were okay with ordering them as single resources.
    OMG I hope they didn't do that with CWN dozers. Those line overhead will be screwed. better get a strike team of dozer bosses.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I heard them say the up canyon winds were a concern and pulled out of one area, marching NW
    Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes
    Thanks nathan lassley thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Fire capped out. Now starting to see the south flank from Clovis.

Post Thanks / Like

KRN sent 2 Dozers
    Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes
    Thanks nathan lassley thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

It's making a good run. I can see a big header now from my yard.

Post Thanks / Like

Per south ops and a little relief on the differences in acreage.

4,789 acres 5% contained.

Fire acreage has been a combination of early stage estimations and Infrared Red interpretation. Fire activity has hindered ground GPS of the fires perimeter. Access and heavy inversions have made mapping a challenge on the Aspen incident. Suppression efforts have centered on contingency implementation. Ground resources are establishing access to the fires edge via boat on Mammoth Pool Reservoir. Air resources have been working the fires perimeter most of today’s shift, fixed wing to the south and rotary wing on the north end of the fire.
    Post Thanks / Like - 3 Thanks, 0 Likes
    Thanks Pound Puppy, Idria66, nathan lassley thanked for this post