Wildland Firefighter Foundation
Wildland Firefighter Foundation
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Large east coast snow storm

Oswego, Firetech792 and wannabe firewriter

I hope you and your families are all doing well or excellently!

I don't have to visit Medford, Rancocas Creek, Moorestown, Strawbridge Lake, Camden or Long Beach Island, NJ any more. All the older generation there are now gone, so no more visiting from the West Coast. But I still imagine the ice skating, summer and winter exploring and summertime swimming and birdwatching at the shore. I remember the hybrid chestnut tree project at Medford Leas. I remember struggling to get the dialup to work to post theysaid morning and evening, and the huge ph0ne bills. Original Ab also had his share of those!

It's been some years from different locations across the US in the off season. Much simpler now so long as you have electricity or a battery and connectivity.

Take care of yourselves! Seasons greetings! I miss the cardinals!
    Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes
    Likes wannabe firewriter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Large east coast snow storm

Thank-you for your kind thoughts, I think you know how much we in NJ appreciate the thoughts of our friends from around the country We are well here in my corner of northwestern NJ. Less than an inch of snow/sleet from last nights storm, and over an inch of rain. Other areas fared worse than we did.

Scattered power outages in inland NJ with more outages along the NJ shore, but outage numbers were less than 10,000 last I checked.

Extreme northern NJ (Sussex County) had the most snow and ice accumulation (six inches + and perhaps 0.2" of ice.

From what I understand from media reports, areas of the NJ shore were hit by coastal flooding last night that may be continuing into this morning. I understand from reports from the Mt. Holly Office of the National Weather Service that there were gusts in the mid to high 60s and perhaps a 70 mph gust in a couple of weather stations along the shore. I'd post links to the current public info statement from the Mt. Holly NWS, but these links will either time out or be replaced by newer statements so I won't bother. However, if anyone is interested, and if it is ok with the Abs, I can post the text of this public info statement.

Hopefully, this coastal flooding won't be more than a temporary setback for those trying to clean-up and otherwise rebuild along the NJ shore. But being so far inland, I'm not exactly in a position to speak for what is happening on the NJ shore other than posting the two articles.

Oswego Firetech792, any news from your end?

For those who are interested, here are two news reports about the coastal flooding in NJ, the first is from the Asbury Park Press and another from The Star Ledger (NJ.com).

Wannabe Firewriter

Quote Originally Posted by abercrombie View Post
    Oswego, Firetech792 and wannabe firewriter

I hope you and your families are all doing well or excellently!

I don't have to visit Medford, Rancocas Creek, Moorestown, Strawbridge Lake, Camden or Long Beach Island, NJ any more. All the older generation there are now gone, so no more visiting from the West Coast. But I still imagine the ice skating, summer and winter exploring and summertime swimming and birdwatching at the shore. I remember the hybrid chestnut tree project at Medford Leas. I remember struggling to get the dialup to work to post theysaid morning and evening, and the huge ph0ne bills. Original Ab also had his share of those!

It's been some years from different locations across the US in the off season. Much simpler now so long as you have electricity or a battery and connectivity.

Take care of yourselves! Seasons greetings! I miss the cardinals!
    Last edited by wannabe firewriter; 12-27-2012 at 08:05. Reason: grammer/typo, added text

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the kind words! Just got back from vacation. As long as the snow cover stays off we should be into the RXB soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes...guys are already out marking areas and plowing lines for RxB. The way the weather looks this week so far, we may be burning this week. My B10 crews were out plowing lines yesterday in Jamesburg County Park in Middlesex County. There was also some light IA the last few days in central NJ.

That last coastal storm was bad but nothing compared to Sandy. Just some minor to moderate coastal flooding. I'm located a good 7 miles inland.